Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Baseball Card - Prospects

I recently have been buying a lot of baseball cards because, I've been getting into the habbit of collecting again. For the longest I can remember, I would always buy cards and my collection ran pretty strong from 1992-2000. Around the early 2000s, I stopped buying regularly, but recently I have been buying again.



I've been buying Bowman packs right and left from Target, K-mart, and Wal-mart. Recently I've gotten some great rookies like Nolan Reimold, Dexter Fowler, Phillippe Aumont, Andrew McCutchen, and many many others. I got several Phillies and Orioles prospects as well. Tyson Brummett, Adam Buschini, and Michael Cisco were the Phillies. I got these nice detailed reports of them from one of the posters on the Phils message board, he told me the following:



"Brummett will be a career minorleaguer. Cisco on the other hand could actually be a really good major league pitcher. He doesn't get great publicity bc he's not one of our high ceiling HS prospects that throw in the high 90s but he probably has the best control of any of our prospects. De Fratus is the only pitcher that could compete with him. I personally am a big fan of cisco. He throws a full arsenal of pitches with amazing control. he walks nobody and doesn't give up many hits.


If cisco pitches well at reading he will be promoted to LHV pretty soon. Look at the clearwater stats. Sorry to say but he outperformed drabek. He can hit 92-93 but his pitches have enough movement that he can be a good pitcher especially with his control. A carlos silva is a decent comparison. Except that he's not a head hunter. "



I know not all prospects make the big leagues, but it was cool that Cisco might land with the club in the future. I've also heard good things about him from my buds in Reading and LV. So hopefully he turns out well for the Phils. Next, was Adam Buschini, and I got another great report for him as well. The guy from the Phils message board put the following:



"Buschini was drafted in the 4th round this year. I thought he would just be an organizational guy originally or just an eventual trade chip if he performed well. I still believe this because his only position is 2B. He hit pretty poorly this year at Williamsport .228, but his walk rate wasn't bad at 12.7%. He is kinda old at this point, 22, because he went to college. It is tough to rate college batters because the offensive stats are usually really good. This is especially true for Buschini but my goodness did he put up some outrageous stats. In 49 games at Cal Poly he posted a .422/.484./.730 line with 11 homers and 61 rbis.



Once he adjusts to the wood bat I believe he could develop into a decent contact hitter. I understand that not everybody has the ability to make it to the majors. I also understand that nobody aspires to be Eric Bruntlett. That being said, if he adjusts to the wood bat I could see him as an Eric Bruntlett type player. He is 6'2" so I could see him developing some power for a second basemen off the bench. Maybe he will become our next Donald, lets hope so since we don't have much in our farm in terms of infielders. So to this point there isnt much to report on Buschini. Since he was drafted pretty high I am just going to take it that the Phils think he will hit. I tend to trust the Phils scouting department. Except in recent first round talent. HAHA. the last few years have been quite embarassing."



So it looks pretty decent!!

Can't forget about the O's prospects cards either! They were Joseph Mahoney and Anthony Martinez. I didn't hear much about these guys, but some of my O's buddies told me that Mahoney looks like a beast in person. So that's cool. I don't think these guys will reach the main club though because the O's have a lot of players lined up at first base, but we shall see what happens down the road.



Well that about does it for my first entry. Under eight days till pitchers and catchers, and I didn't even start the fantasy talk! I better get rolling soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment